Cannabutter is a popular and straightforward method of making edibles, and it is widely used due to its versatility and delicious taste. The reason butter is an ideal medium for cannabis infusion is that THC, the psychoactive compound in cannabis, needs to bind to fat molecules. Butter contains a high amount of fat, making it an excellent choice for this purpose, along with oils like coconut, olive, and vegetable oil.
The infusion process for cannabutter takes a few hours, but it is straightforward, even for beginners, and Bulk Buddy has a reliable recipe to guide you through it. Just like with any edibles, it’s essential – to start at a low dose and wait for the effects to kick in before consuming more. This cautious approach helps avoid uncomfortable experiences from consuming too much.
Once you have infused the butter with cannabis, there are various ways to use it to create edibles. You can use cannabutter in any recipe for regular butter, such as baked goods, or spread it on toast or other foods. Some popular edible choices made with cannabutter include weed brownies, cookies, and cakes.
Depending on your preference for potency, you can use all cannabutter in a recipe or mix it with regular butter in different ratios to achieve milder effects.
Before infusing the cannabis into butter, it is crucial to decarboxylate the cannabis. This process involves heating the cannabis at a low temperature in an oven, which converts THCA (the inactive form of THC found in raw cannabis) into THC, the active psychoactive component. This step ensures that cannabis has desired effects when consumed in edibles.
Keep in mind that homemade edibles can be challenging to dose accurately. While the recipe and guide provided by Bulk Buddy can help with dosing, it is essential to understand that the potency and uniformity of a batch of edibles might vary. As such, it is advisable to proceed cautiously and be mindful of the effects when consuming homemade cannabis-infused edibles.
Bulk Buddy is a platform where you can find cannabis-related products and information. One of the essential items available on Bulk Buddy is cannabis-infused butter, commonly known as cannabutter.
Making cannabutter using Bulk Buddy’s cannabis is inexpensive and straightforward, requiring only a few items, time, and patience. It’s important to be cautious with cooking, as butter can burn easily.
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Saucepan, stock pot, double-boiler, or slow cooker
- Mesh strainer or cheesecloth
- Container for cannabutter
- Cannabis grinder (optional)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup ground cannabis (7-10 grams), decarboxylated
The basic cannabutter recipe involves the following steps:
- Decarb the cannabis: Preheat the oven to 245ºF, spread the loosely broken-up cannabis on a parchment-lined baking sheet, and heat it for 30-40 minutes, gently mixing the buds every 10-15 minutes. Alternatively, you can heat the cannabis at 300ºF for 10-15 minutes, but the low-and-slow approach is recommended to preserve cannabinoids and terpenes better.
- Grind or break up the cannabis: You can use a grinder to break the weed down to a consistent size, but breaking it up with your hands is also an option. Avoid grinding the weed into a fine powder, as small particles may end up in the finished product.
- Melt the butter: In a saucepan, stock pot, double-boiler, or slow cooker, melt 1 cup of butter on low heat. Add 1 cup of water to help regulate temperature and prevent the butter from scorching.
- Add the cannabis: Once the butter is melted, add the decarboxylated cannabis to it.
- Simmer: Maintain the mixture on low heat, between 160-200ºF, and avoid exceeding 200ºF to prevent burning out cannabinoids. Simmer for 2-3 hours, stirring occasionally, without bringing it to a full boil.
- Strain the mixture: Place a mesh strainer or cheesecloth over a jar and pour the butter/cannabis mixture through it, discarding the plant material.
- Refrigerate: Put the jar of cannabutter in the refrigerator to solidify, ideally overnight or for a few hours. If excess water forms at the bottom of the jar, remove the solid butter with a knife and drain the water.
Decarboxylation is essential before making cannabutter, as it converts THCA into THC through heat, giving the butter its desired effects. Calculating the exact dosage of homemade edibles is difficult due to various factors such as cannabis potency, infusion time, and temperature. Starting with a small amount and adjusting accordingly is recommended.
The cannabis-to-butter ratio can be adjusted to make cannabutter milder or stronger. A 1:1 ratio is suggested (1 cup of cannabis to 1 cup of butter), but you can use regular butter alongside cannabutter to decrease potency or add more cannabis for increased effects.
Once you have cannabutter, you can use it to make a variety of edibles, from brownies and cookies to dishes where butter is used. The endless possibilities allow you to get creative in your culinary adventures.